WORLDBUILDING ASSIGNMENT - "DOWN AND OUT IN THE MAGIC KINGDOM"

1: What is your reaction to the text you just read?
I was pretty enthralled and I have every intention of continuing to read the novella once I have free time. I'm interested by the concept of a hedonistic, terminally depressed society that's transcended death, currency, and space. Those restrictions define our society as a whole so I, as a writer, struggle to think outside of those constraints.

2: What connection did you make with the story? Discuss the elements of the story with which you were able to connect.
I wasn't able to finish the story within the window of time that I was allowed, but Lil was a more relatable vessel than the narrator, who has survived a few decades and is more representative of the outlandish new normal of this world. Conversely, Lil is closer to my age group. Disneyland is an immediate hook. I want to know where it fits into the story and this universe.

3: What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?
I'm an illustrator by trade, so if I was given the opportunity to adapt the story into another medium, I would pick an illustrated novel or a comic. I'd need to read the whole story to get an idea of how to condense and distort the narrative to fit the new media, but it would be awesome to take some of the imagery and translate it to visual form.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WORLDBUILDING CLASS - PROJECT #7 - CRIME AND PUNISHMENT IN DEOS

WORLDBUILDING ASSIGNMENT - THEME PARK ("MARS ADVENTURE")